I placed 8 new lower-offs in Barrington Quarry today: 5 were for climbs that had no anchors at all, 3 were replacements for old carrot-hanger-twisted shackle (CHTS) anchors. The new lower-offs are all either Fixe or Raumer hangers with a captive ring, anchored with Raumer 10mm x 86mm double expansion bolts.
Going from left to right in the Entrance Quarry:
- Poo HQ, Force Projection - had common high-drag CHTS anchor set in a detached boulder, amidst loose rock. New anchor was placed lower down, in more solid rock
- Mind and Sex... - had no top anchor at all (trad belay)
- Tools of the Trade - had no top anchor at all (trad belay)
- 100 Questions - had a CHTS anchor with high drag, due to placement
- Blast-off - had a CHTS anchor with high drag, due to placement (this is the newish carrot route just right of 100Q).
- Dynomite - had no anchor (carrots)
- Instinct for Dissent - had no anchor (carrots)
- Straying Power - had no anchor (carrots)
Some pics here. Cheers, Ross